Wednesday, November 18, 2009

At the risk of sounding like a girl...

This is not a normal HBOTW and it's not because I'm writing this on Wednesday night and I'm actually going to be prepared to have this up on Thursday. It's not normal because I'm upset. About hockey. About refs. About the NHL.

On Saturday, Schmeg came over and watched hockey with me. She discovered the wonder that is Jonathan Ericsson and requested that I feature him this week. I agreed to this because I too love me some Big Rig. Then, I watched the Dallas game tonight and I was just underwhelmed. Just blah about him. I realized that I've been feeling that way a lot this season. There's been so many times that I've just thought, 'Wow, he's having a rough night' or 'Wow, he's so unlucky sometimes.' So I decided to write a letter to Mr. Ericsson...

Dear Pookie,

I want to start off by saying that I'm a big fan of yours and I have been since your days in Grand Rapids. I was so happy when you got the chance to play in Detroit and I think that you're going to have many successful years here.

Photobucket

That being said, I want you to play better right now. I understand that you're going to make rookie mistakes because you're a young guy. You're a big guy who is still learning how to use your size in the NHL and that's cool. And I completely understand that you are having to play with Brett Lebda and that has to be difficult. (I will not get sidetracked into a rant, I will not get sidetracked...)

Photobucket

STOP GIVING ME THAT LOOK! You're cute but you're not completely off the hook here. I need you to step up and be physical! I want you to be effectively blocking shots on the penalty kill! I want you to take more shots from the point because you're a strong guy with a powerful shot! Use it! You can be an energy guy! You have so much potential and you have one of the greatest defensemen OF ALL TIME to learn from on the ice and in the dressing room SO YOU BETTER BE LISTENING AND PAYING ATTENTION AT ALL TIMES! I WANT YOU TO BE A SPONGE FOR KNOWLEDGE UNTIL THE DAY LIDSTROM HANGS UP HIS SKATES AND THAT ISN'T TOO FAR AWAY SO OPEN YOUR EYES AND EARS BECAUSE ONE DAY SOON YOU'RE GOING TO BE IN THAT TOP PAIRING AND ALL THOSE OTHER GUYS ARE GOING TO BE GONE AND YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO BE A LEADER AND I JUST WANT YOU TO BE READY FOR THAT DAY, JONATHAN! ARE YOU GOING TO BE READY? JESUS, JONATHAN...

Photobucket

Look baby, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to... I just... I'm really sorry. Ozzie, I got it from here. OZZIE! It's cool, it's cool. I can be cool, I promise. I just yell because... I just get so frustrated sometimes, baby, and I love you so much. Come on... Smile for me. Just a little one; you know I love you!

Photobucket

Alright, there we go. There's that smile! We're good? We're okay? Okay, we're good. Okay baby, I'll see you on Friday night.

XOXO,
MGdB

1 comment:

  1. I think I've cursed out Big Rig more than any other Wing so far this season, even including Unnamed Guy Who Damaged the Cup in 2008. Every time I do so, I repeat "Chris Pronger with the Whalers" three times, and that helps a little.

    ReplyDelete