Monday, November 9, 2009

Toronto is the new New York City

I just received a text message from my road trip buddy, Miss Silvrbuttrfly, that says this: “I don’t think I fully absorbed how amazing the weekend was til now. Let’s go back.” My thoughts exactly.

The weekend started off with the long drive to the Rochester International Airport where I picked up SB. We headed over to The Armory and saw Guster, which was awesome.

Photobucket
Adam and Ryan. I want Ryan's hoodie. Tres adorable.

Photobucket
Joe Pisapia!

After some late night food at Denny’s with some friends, old and new, we decided that it would be a good idea to start driving to Toronto right then and there. At 1 a.m.

I mean, I did have a theory about this, that it would be quicker to cross the border at 3 a.m. rather than in the morning. Plus, I’m way better at staying up all night than I am at waking up early. We did make it into Canada and starting looking for a hotel. We did not find a hotel that wasn’t going to charge us a ridiculous amount of money until we got to Burlington. I honestly have no idea where we were because it was almost 5 a.m. when we checked in and I was exhausted.

The next morning, we woke up and drove into Toronto. Our lovely hotel there (www.hotelselby.com) let us check in early so we showered, got dressed and headed down to the Hockey Hall of Fame. It was my first time there (actually in Toronto at all) and I was pretty much like a 4 year old visiting Disney World. I spent A LOT of money there buying t-shirts and running around and taking pictures and just all around being crazy. I also discovered my true calling as a goalie in the interactive game area :)

Later that night, we attended the Leafs/Wings game and it was absolutely amazing. SB had never been to an NHL game before and I’m fairly certain that I’ve got her hooked. She loved hockey beforehand but after being there live, she’s totally converted. I did wear my Leafs jersey and here’s why: I want to visit every NHL arena and cheer for the home team in each. I want to experience every arena from the point of view of the home team fan, not just entering as an enemy. I had planned to do this and the idea of going up to Toronto came before I found out the game was against Detroit. It was terribly confusing for me, especially after several Molsons and during powerplays/penalty kills.

Photobucket
Before the game started, I was kinda tipsy already.

Photobucket
It's hard to hold still and take pictures when you're drinking. Ceremonial dropping of the puck.

Photobucket
Ahhhhh, I love taking opening face-off pictures.


Highlights of the night:

-Random Canadian guy giving me food advice and 16 cents at the concession stand
-Getting to see Phil Kessel’s first goal as a Leaf live in person right in front of me
-Totally predicting what Jason Williams’ injury was 3 seconds after it happened and later confirming that I was right when we turned on CBC when we returned to the hotel
-Meeting the random Canadian guy on the street corner in front of City Hall and discussing hockey while he was attempting to hit on me
-Watching Brett Lebda look obviously TERRIBLE all night so maybe he’ll be sent to Grand Rapids or traded or ANYTHING TO MAKE HIM GO AWAY
-Trying to figure out the metric system, like when something is advertised as a 355mL drink, it’s really just a can of pop

Sunday morning, we started driving back to the States but took a quick detour to Niagara Falls to grab some pictures and lunch.

Photobucket
Floods are my favorite natural disaster and waterfalls look like floods. Therefore, I love waterfalls.

We ended up being stuck at the border for about 90 minutes and that was a little nerve-racking since we were trying to make it to the airport. SB got on her flight back to NYC and I made the drive home from Buffalo in approximately 4 hours.

Weekend totals:
1045 miles driven
2 sherpa hats worn
1 concert
1 hockey game
$400 spent

Totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment